PDA

View Full Version : AQUARIUM ADVENTURES is now in the NATI!!!!!

Lenny Llambi
11-12-2003, 07:43 PM
For those of you who have never been to the store in Columbus (I include myself in that category)....WOW!!!!! The Newport Pets-N-Such has just converted to a Petland (which owns aquarium adventures). The store is kind of an Lshape: one length is nonaquatic pets and supplies (including aquatic supplies), the other is all aquatic livestock and aquariums. Let me just say....WOW.
I used to work with the owner (Jim Curran), and two of the managers (Phil & Jane) when I worked at Pets-N-Such, and they are all good people. Phil especially is excellent with saltwater fish. Their prices are very reasonable, and I encourage everyone to stop in, buy something, and mention that you heard about them through the reef society. Jim is a very fair man, and I think we have a good chance of winning over his support if we actively, and (this is the key) candidly support him as the reef society. Their reef stuff is not quite up and running (they have a lot of corals that crapped out during the move), but i think it will be awesome, once everything cures and is up and running. So please stop by, and if you do purchase something, just strike up a casual conversation about how you heard about this place through the reef society. Whenever I see Jim I'll try to feel him out about possibly becoming a sponsor as the comments come in. So anyways, hope everyone gets a chance to check it out, an that we can win these guys over for the good of the society!

Lenny

Miller357
11-12-2003, 07:47 PM
I have been in there store before, and during the remodel. I have not checked it out lately but they have always kept there tanks very clean. I was really impressed with that.

ctwehues
11-12-2003, 08:45 PM
I stop in to Pets-n-Such every time Im in town, and I really do like their prices on drygoods and livestock. But I honestly think their care level for livestock is terrible. I may need some support from the community, but I feel the pre-remodel store kept coral under horrendous lighting conditions and all of their corals was dying. Now that the new store is up, the coral is still placed under poor lighting and I havent seen anything new do well. It has been two weeks since Ive been in town, but the last time I went there, they had a queen angel in one fo those little cubicle tanks--I mean this thing was at least 8inches long! Hopefully everything will be up and running soon, but I would be careful with buying coral there. Please critique this response if youve been to their store and know specifically about their lighting situation, because I thought it was pretty bad. Thanks for any comments.
PLease let me know how you feel.
Craig

Tracie
11-13-2003, 12:18 PM
I'm with Craig on this one. I buy hardgoods there (their prices on salt are great), but their care of livestock has declined to the point that I no longer even look at it when I'm there. (Okay, I peek, but then I complain for a while!) I used to recommend them highly, but hesitate to mention them at all anymore.

Tracie

Miller357
11-13-2003, 12:22 PM
Maybe I am thinking of a different place.

moeller17
11-13-2003, 03:34 PM
I think I found the place you guys are talking about. Petland in Newport Plaza is having a huge sale this weekend. I stopped by today and got their ad. Here's some of their specials.

TANKS
55g $60
75g $80
90g $140
125g $190
150g $280
180g $380

SALT- I.O 50g bags are $8 a bag limit 2.
LIVE ROCK- $2.99/lb limit 25lbs
35% off live corals
35% off marine fish

They have a bunch of other stuff on sale as well.

JugglerDave
11-13-2003, 03:47 PM
Wow I like the prices! I'll check it out while I buy my 25 pounds of rock. I may take my wife in disguise.

Juggler Dave

ReefManiac
11-13-2003, 04:36 PM
So is this place in Columbus or Newport Ky??

ctwehues
11-13-2003, 05:19 PM
Newport Shopping Center, in Newport, right off of 471 South

Landoid
11-13-2003, 05:26 PM
http://yp.yahoo.com/py/ypMap.py?Pyt=Typ&tuid=4550726&ck=3089584084&tab=B2C&tcat=8120494&city=Cincinnati&state=OH&zip=45202&country=us&msa=1640&cs=5&ed=knI4161o2TwpOWb2zNrBad8sTL83yKf9.vFOwa80iGkZ&stat=:pos:0:regular:regT:4:fbT:0

JugglerDave
11-13-2003, 09:17 PM
Okay I just came back here's the scoop in my opinion.

-- lots of tanks with little fish
-- lots of fish that will grow BIG (be careful)
-- only 1 of about everything
-- prices on pretty fish exactly what you'd expect... more than you want to pay
-- prices on ordinary fish green chromis, sargent majors/4 stripe damsels 4.99 .... (careful sarget majors get 5-8 inches in the wild... you'd need a tank about the size of Jeffs back yard)
-- live rock for 2.99 is NOT I repeat NOT in yet. Call first! DRAT! WHY DIDN'T I READ MY OWN POST BEFORE I WENT! ( My wife says this one is not funny)
-- I'm told the live rock that is coming will look like the rock they already have.
-- The rock they already have looks like concrete pulled from death valley... totally devoid of life.
-- 3 corals 2 frog spawn $39dead & $89pretty a hand full of other stuff
-- the store it'self is pretty and has lots of potential then again so does my tank, but I'll probably mess it up.

Just my opinion hope you ignore me,
Juggler Dave

ctwehues
11-14-2003, 06:42 AM
I agree with you on the corals, they are always dead, and when they are alive--they're new! But I think the fish prices are very reasonable. I bought a coral beaty angelfish (maybe 3.5 inches) for 24.99 i think. Other fish can be expensive, but not too much higher than some of the websites I look at.

Tracie
11-15-2003, 07:30 PM
I went by today for the grand opening. They have expanded quite a bit and everything looks pretty good. Of course, I would expect that for such an occasion. The prices are higher now than before they went to Petland, but not outrageous. (With the 35% discount this weekend, they're actually pretty darn good!) We picked up a couple of fish, some salt and a couple of extra heaters (titanium heaters with remote temp setting for $20!) I'll be interested to see how they do over the next few months.